Saturday, June 23, 2018

We're going to Lima? Alpaca my bags!

¡Hola, amigos! 

Well, let's start from the beginning. I started this summer prepared for mosquitos, outdoor latrines, and the hot, humid, forests of Nicaragua. However, due to safety concerns, our program there was cancelled. That's when the lovely ladies of MHIRT sprang to action and found me a new research position in less than 48 hours <3 They're incredible. I am so thankful for the supportive community that MHIRT has created, not just within our program at Rhodes but nationally as well. 

Anyways, I am writing today from Lima, Peru!
It is currently winter time here which means humid-chilliness and constant overcast skies. I have been told the sun won't be coming back until October so this hasn't been the best summer to work on my tan. Oh well! 
I am staying in the neighborhood of Barranco which has been lovingly referred to as "Lima's Portland." There's street art everywhere and cuisine from all over the world. Speaking of cuisine, THE FOOD HAS BEEN INCREDIBLE. When people say that Lima is one of the best cities for food in the world, they're not exaggerating. 
This is (from left to right) Ted, Josh, and Ana! We all work in the same office together. They are all public health students from Tulane (Ted's working on his PhD!) and they all love talking about food as much as I do. Ted, Josh, and I are working on a project together. We're doing a qualitative study on the perceptions of parents on adolescent sexual abuse, especially in the context of gender and media exposure. 
This is Andrea and Ted in the office where we conducted focus groups earlier this week! Andrea is a psychologist and has been leading the focus groups. It's so cool seeing her engage people in conversation and guide discussions to the heart of an issue. I have never done qualitative research before and these two people in particular have really been guiding me through the process. It's been a really enjoyable learning experience!
I'll leave you all with this picture of causa langostina (a Peruvian mashed potato/avocado/mayo dish with shrimp 😍) and fresh watermelon-passion fruit juice aka lunch yesterday. This summer is just flying by.

--Radha

No comments:

Post a Comment