Saturday, June 9, 2018

Welcome to Florianópolis


Flying into Florianópolis was incredible. Seeing the entire island from the sky was unlike anything I'd seen before. The vast number of trees were littered across the island over mountains and around giant lakes. Our mentors introduced us to their beautiful city, showing us where to eat, how to get around, and what to do. They told us about their culture and what we should expect living here. My roommates and I have made a conscious effort to stay open to new experiences and to the culture, even though it may be different for us. On our first day alone, we went to the Iguatemi mall to buy food at the BIG and pick up other supplies. While our Portuguese is still limited, everyone we have met so far has been friendly to us and tried their hardest to communicate. Although it was hard to step out of our apartment for the first time, we have been amazed at what we have found here, learning as we go. In the area, we have visited different bakeries and stores, talking to the locals as we go. I have been so impressed by the hospitality the people of Floripa have shown us here. During the first day in the lab, we had a chance to meet the other students that worked there. I am excited to start my research and am happy for the challenges that await me. I know the following months will be different and new, but it will all be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment