Sunday, June 10, 2018

Nicaragua to Dominican Republic



Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Estoy en el Dominicana Republica!  ( I am in the Dominican Republic). Many of you may be confused, but no worries. There were a few complications with Nicaragua, however it was sorted out and I was relocated to the DR.

Life in the DR is very vibrant, the people are warm and the environment is very beautiful and I am excited to be able to practiced my spanish. I landed on Monday, June 4th 2018, and have officially been here for almost a week.  On Tuesday, the girls and I (Meghan and Rachell) went to the clinic to submit the remaining paperwork for the IRB and get our final approval for the research. During the rest of the week we had the opportunity to shadow the doctors who are treating patients with HIV. The patients were initially shy but warmed up to us and even allowed us to take their measurements and weights. My Spanish is not perfert just yet, but each day I am learning new words and phrases and improving my listening skills, Luckily Rachell and Meghan are fluent and help me out when needed.

We had Thursday off and had the opportunity to visit the beach. The beach we went to was called Sosua and is located in Santiago and it was muy bonita (very beautiful). The food here is also very tasty and fresh! Especially the fruits and veggies!

Tomorrow we will be going to the clinic which is about a 6 minute walk from the house to shadow the doctors once again prior to getting the IRB approved. Once this is in motion we will be conducting our studies on the patients to assess what social economic trait is hindering some patients from receiving adequate treatment or being consistent with their treatments.

Though I am not with my original MHIRT  members the MHIRT ladies from Brown University have been very sweet and welcoming to me. Today we also had the opportunity to visit the Monuments of Heroes who helped saved the DR from their previous dictator. Below are a few pictures I took with the girls, Unfortunately we are not allowed to take pictures in the clinic (which is understandable) so I do not have any to post.





No comments:

Post a Comment