Saturday, June 16, 2018

Aa (Hello!) from South Africa

My summer is going in a completely different way than I imagined it. Expectations of Nicaraguan rainforests, nearby lakes and volcanoes, and Spanish speaking people have been replaced by the arid heat of South Africa and speakers of Venda and English and Xhosa and half a dozen other languages. I have found myself at the vertex of a dozen different cultures merging, each unique and amazing in its own way. The cultural diversity and beauty is complimented by the rich natural landscape. Beautiful landscapes, secret waterfalls, and "potholes" abound, as well as the most incredible wildlife.


Crossing paths with an elephant in Kruger National Park. This guy cared very little about our presence and it was so fun to watch him go about his day around our car.

A herd of elephants in Kruger! I never had a thing for elephants before this trip but seeing these majestic giants roaming their nature habitat left me in awe.

These girraffes us just on our way out of Kruger. They stood in the road for a good few minutes while we freaked about them letting us pass before the gates closed. When they finally exited the road we couldn't miss the opportunity to snap a couple of photos.

Phiphidi Falls has to be one of the most incredible places I've ever seen. Its located in a huge pothole (like a basin) that dips low compared to the surrounding mountains. These smaller falls are a bit of a hike from the larger main set.

Taking a break from hiking at Phiphidi. I'm a reflective person, but its always worth reminding myself that the beauty surrounding me deserves time devoted to close observation as well as deep reflection.



No comments:

Post a Comment