Saturday, June 9, 2018

Bem-vindo Brasil

Hello all, this post is from Jamila.
 My first day here, I was blessed to have a classy dinner with Professora Dora Ventura! She stopped by the apartment, fixed my Wifi, and offered to take me out to dinner. We ate at a restaurant called: Ritz with her husband, and talked about many things. Here, she provided my second peek into what I would be researching this summer.
 

The day after my teammates, Laura and Clorissa, finally arrived to Sao Paulo after a 37 hour delay, we visited the University of Sao Paulo for the first time. The girls got to eat their first fancy meal with Dora. The food was tasty, but the espresso was bitter (eat the orange skins, they help)!!
 

With day one down, the lab wanted to get to know the girls and I. From left to right around the table: Clorissa, Me, Laura, Vitor, Louise, Andre, Heydi, Maria Julia, Leo, and Diego. These students' ages range from 24 to 33. some are working on their post-docs, some are in the process of entering into graduate schools, and others are working on their Ph.Ds.
 

 The lab students were very helpful getting the girls and I acquainted with life in Brasil. Heydi spent 4 hours, 6000 steps, blood, sweat and tears to take us to get bus passes, and our currency exchanged. I learned how to ride the metro and bus lines around the city in order to get these things done. We even tasted a variety of pastais (bread pastries) along the way.
 
The first time we ordered pizza on our own. What an experience! Our Portugeese was truly tested at this restaurant: Estrella de Buntant. We tried a traditional Brasilian pizza called Pizza de Portugeese. It consisted of peas, hard boiled egg, ham, onions, and of course, cheese. One interesting fact, the cheese was on top of the toppings!

No comments:

Post a Comment