Saturday, June 16, 2018

Bem Vindo a Brazil!


I have been a happy inhabitant of this country for the past two weeks and I can’t say I have been to any other country like it.  I have been to the Caribbean and Europe and I have to say; my past experience does not compare to Floripa.  I arrived in Florianopolis last Tuesday in the beautiful state of Santa Catarina greeted and by our cheerful mentor Elizabeth.  It was a smooth transition getting settled into this new life, but I can’t stop swooning every time I see the mountains that separate the inland from the sea just outside my window. There are beautiful murals all around the city that brighten the place up.  My roommates and I have gone around and explored the city of Trindade as well as the university UFSC.  I am so happy that though my Portuguese is absolutely terrible, the locals are always kind and helpful; even without speaking the same language.  Though I did end up catching a fever that kept me stuck in bed for the 1st weekend, once I got better, we explored the mall “Iguatemi,” and the famous “Lagoa de conceiҫão.”  We have tried as many Brazilian foods as we can get our hands on, including Coxinhas, Pao de Quiejo, Braziian Cappuccino, Tapioca, Brigadieros, and so much more.
                I have gotten to spend some time with my mentor and lab mates, I am excited to be a part of a brand-new project they are starting that looks at the biochemical effects of Chysene on the local species of oysters.  I will mostly be working with Camilla and Flavia, but getting to know the other lab members Laura, Luis, Thomas, Vera, Jacob, and company has been fun! And this is all in only 2 weeks!? I can’t wait to see what the rest of this summer has in store.





No comments:

Post a Comment