Saturday, July 27, 2019

Our Little Getaway in Salvador


My time with MHIRT has been phenomenal and I do not think I could have asked for anymore. From Morenike’s expertise on Portuguese and anything Brazilian to Donovan’s willingness to help everyone and to Norman’s very contagious energy and smile, I do not think I would get this attached to this experience and my roommates. We plan on making this last week and a half the best it can be, as we all wrap up our research. Personally, my research is nearing its final stage, and I think I have gained plenty by familiarizing myself with the entire process. My greatest joy has been getting close with the rest of the people in my lab. I have watched two of them defend their theses to get their masters’ degrees, and the joy was palpable. These are the memories that will last. This also stems from slowly growing accustomed to Portuguese.
This week, we got to experience a whole different side of Brazil. We have spent the 7 weeks before this in Florianopolis and we have loved all of our time there. Yet, we knew we wanted to experience another historical and culturally significant city before we leave, which turned out to be Salvador. We have explored so many parts of this wonderful city. We walked around the famous Pelearinho neighborhood. My favorite part of this little getaway was the time we spent in a market on Saturday. I bought a couple jerseys and souvenirs, and I just enjoyed seeing all of the handcrafted goods present. This was an amazing time spent in Salvador.

No comments:

Post a Comment