Saturday, July 13, 2019

Finally Exploring!


For the first two weeks of being in Floripa, we were still getting acquainted with the city, UFSC, and our respective labs. I started my independent project during the third week of being here and my responsibilities exceeded that which I was previously expecting. Given the time constraints of the program, my mentor and I devised a plan that would take about 24-25 days to collect useful data for my project; this included working everyday — even weekends. From what I understood of what was expected, going in on weekends would only take 90 minutes or so, so I saw no issue. I quickly came to realize that weekdays would include anywhere from 3 to 16 hours worth of hands-on work in the lab, with weekends had 3-4 hours per day. Despite the highs and lows of my experiment, it is now coming to an end as I enter my last week of experimenting, which means more time for exploring!

Outside of the lab, my housemates and I realized how quickly time is passing and just how little of Floripa we have seen! So, we set out to explore new parts of the island to see all that this city has to offer. This island is actually quite large, having multiple neighborhood that are each densely packed with their own uniqueness! Today, we explored the BeiraMar area more, which is in downtown Floripa and went to the Santa Catarina Art Museum to get in touch with the culture offered by south Brazil. After leaving the museum we walked along the Beiramar coastline and watched the sun set while listening to a samba band play at a restaurant behind us. I am really looking forward to our trip to Salvador next week because I am excited to see more of Brazil’s artistic culture!

Here is a piece of art we saw at the museum:



Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment