Saturday, July 27, 2019

Full Circle

There is only one way to describe my current time in Brazil- “fully submerged”. I have never lived in another country before or even traveled abroad, but there was no way I could have prepared myself for the changes I have faced thus far. Now, understand that I am still enjoying every minute of this experience, but cultural differences really put life into perspective. Florianopolis is a beautiful city and every morning I am awakened by glowing rays of the sun’s light as it arises between two green mountains. Given that I am a fan of American mafia biographies, it is what I imagined to be Cuba’s Casablanca. It is a great escape from reality, but even the American gangsters had to acknowledge the influence of Castro and communism.

Analogously, the beauty of Brazil can blind one to the issues. This is partially due to our American naïveté but also because of a slight façade presented by geographical location and ethnic uniformity. I am from Atlanta, a city rich in African-American history and people, where I don’t often feel like a minority even amongst other ethnicities. In Floripa, the difference is clear. Also, there is a large wealth disparity gap that can be observed in the communities with two story homes next to shacks without windows. Comparatively, we have taken a trip to Salvador, Bahia, a state in northern Brazil that is culturally rich with African ancestry. Here, I was reminded we are tourists in Brazil, whether in Floripa or Salvador, but Floripa offers a veil of protection in the cultural uniformity of the people; whereas Salvador’s people are noticeably burdened with socioeconomic disparity that affects people’s ability to achieve happiness.

In my last post I mentioned the parallelisms between America and Brazil. I have recently found another parallel in the fact that the minority people tend to suffer the greatest economic disparity despite having a history so rich. Salvador is saturated with African ancestral ties as can be seen in the naming of communities after African deities and even common phrases and sayings that have ties to African dialects. The people remind me of African-Americans in Atlanta in fact. They make music, they sing freely, they are sole proprietors, and even in the face of disparity they create their own peace. Clark Atlanta University’s motto is “Find a way or make one” and I see nothing short of this in the spirit of the Salvador people. While the lifestyles and quality of housing in different than what I’ve experienced in America or Floripa even, the cultural advantages make it all worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment