Saturday, July 13, 2019

The Small Things


It’s been over a month since I’ve landed in São Paulo, Brazil. A quick update: my Portuguese has arguably improved um pouco. Pro tip: make sure to correct your pronunciation of certain words to avoid awkward situations (e.g. make sure you’re pronouncing bread correctly. The ã sound makes a difference). 
            I am continuing my protocol involving ERG (electroretinogram) on patients at Prevent Senior hospital. My daily 1-hour travel route includes a 1-mile walk, 2 metro stations, and 3 blocks. Though this may sound intimidating, I honestly love my daily travel. This may be due to my habit of people watching, but the constant changing of scenes makes this route beautiful especially in the morning. At the hospital, I’ve had the sweetest patients many of which are excited to meet an “Americana.” In addition, the hospital staff and doctors are very kind and friendly. 
            Last weekend, the São Paulo squad ventured to Rio De Janeiro. Let me say, the views on top of Sugar Loaf Mountain and Christ the Redeemer are stunning.  On the beaches, the sand was soft and the water was warm enough to swim. While you’re laying out on the beach, many vendors will ask if you would like to buy a variety of products from sunglasses to bathing suits to shrimp on a stick. If you love to dance the night away, there are some fun places in Lapa open daily as a restaurant and nightly as a dance club. Dancing every night was a possibility and a reality. 
            Back at home, I  look forward to the little things like Tuesday nights at the bar/restaurant with the lab, finding hidden pastel stands, post work dinner when lunch was not an option due to an influx of patients, cooking with my roommates, and  nightly episodes of How to Get Away with Murder. These are where I find myself the happiest. Maybe the joy is found in the transition from visiting to living. Every day I feel so fortunate to be here. My time here and memories created are irreplaceable. 

Below is one of the beautiful views from Rio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment