Friday, July 6, 2018

Vai Brazil!


Vai Brazil!

A month has gone by and I still can’t get enough of this place.  When I think I’ve seen it all, I’m surprised with new things. Now that we are more comfortable in our new setting, we have been able to take more time to explore. 

First and foremost is the World Cup 2018, if there is one thing I have learned is that Brazilians love their futból and the Brazil futból team is one of the best in the world! Whenever Brazil is playing, everyone stops everything and watches the game. A game was one during our first trip to downtown Florianopolis. Now that is what I call Patriotic Pride!

We got the chance to explore another part of Brazil, Foz de Iguazu last weekend.  We got to explore the bird park, which inside, we got to see and learn about different birds. I even got to see a Toucan for the first time since it is a bird native to South America.

We went to Foz de Iguazu for a weekend where I got a chance to finally meet the other Brazil MHIRT students and everyone was so nice and welcoming; they made this trip extra fun. We ventured to Argentina to Iguazu Park with the help of a local Uber driver named Tiago.  Inside I saw the biggest and most beautiful waterfalls that it puts Paradise Falls in the Disney movie “UP” to shame; Iguazu Falls.

Lab work is starting to take form.  The original new project has hit some road bumps in preparation so I’m switching to a new project that involves the same principles but looking at a different enzyme and different xenobiotics.  My lab friends have been so kind in helping me understand the theory behind everything.  We recently celebrated Festa Junina (The festival of June), where we all came together and ate traditional Brazilian food.  My favorites were the Pine Seeds and banana candy, which I had never had before, and it tasted delicious. They played traditional Brazilian folk music, dressed in festival wear, and shared lots of funny stories.  I felt happy to be apart of this merry band of scientists who have made me feel very welcome in their home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment