Saturday, July 14, 2018

A woman's place is where?

 My time here in the Dominican Republic has enlightened me in so many different ways. Working at the clinic has humbled me in so many ways . interacting with patients from all over the DR has truly been an experience. One of the first things I noticed, is depending how further away from the city , the thicker and harder the Spanish accent is to understand. Most of the patients that are diagnosed with HIV are women and often times have obtained transmissions from their spouse/husbands. Often times, many travel as far as 3-4 hours away to obtain medication to avoid running into someone they know at another clinic. Many are also ashamed and scared their family would discriminate against them so they do not inform them of their status. Some have even reported that their family assign them separate cups and plates to eat from, Hearing these stories breaks my heart and I offer as much comfort and kind words as I can. This really makes me open my eyes to how blessed I am and how my "1st world problems" are minute in comparison to others.


On a much lighter note, some of the patients are so filled with joy and love and are optimistic and overall grateful to be able to access their medications. Some get so carried away while we are doing interviews that they start giving us their life stories, and how lovely their grandchildren are, and they children who lives abroad etc. Some I've gotten attached too, especially the older women who radiate motherly love towards me.


                      

My mentor took us and another one of the doctors from the clinic out for dinner, we discussed being minorities and women in medicine/Pursuit of medicine. This conversation was especially interesting for me as I always wondered how I could possibly do all 3? A doctor, wife and mother! AY DIOS MIO, Both doctors are women, married with children. They sat us down and gave us their little secrets, but this better stay between us! haha jk, lets spread the knowledge! They told us, first and foremost that we should NEVER let that thought stop us from chasing our dreams, that the right man will love and understand our passion and not make it a pursuit/egotistical challenge between the sexes, but rather a supportive one filled with compromises. They also express the importance of family time and other ways to prevent burnout. Dr, Sanchez mentions that she does her best to try to take her daughter to the park once a week. Overall it was a good experience and advice that I will cherish. In other rather sad news,  I officially have 3 weeks left and my time here is slowly dwindling down, hmmmmm how does one apply for a Dominican citizenship lol?

Well that's all folks, until next time. ;)

Oh wait.......I lost 3 pounds lol not too bad for someone who can't resist the food here eh?


Tenga un buen dia!
-Brittnie


No comments:

Post a Comment