Thursday, July 19, 2018

Google Peruvian Hairless Dog

(no seriously, they're so ugly it's kind of cute)

Hey everyone!

In the past two weeks, I've been lucky to have some people I love from back home come visit. It was so much fun showing them around the barrio and introducing them to everyone. Being away from home, even just for two months, can be hard at times. It was really nice seeing some familiar faces and sharing the experience of being in a new place with people!


While my boyfriend was here, we went to Mercado Surquillo which has everything you need in it. Here's an array of fresh produce we stocked up on (from top to bottom, tomate de arbol, lucuma, passion fruit, dragon fruit, ají, and plantains). One of my favorite fruits that I've tried here is lucuma! It has the creamy texture of an avocado but the rich, sweet taste of butterscotch or a maple candy. It tastes incredible in ice cream, milkshakes, or drinks from Peruvian Starbucks.


This is Huaca Pucllana, just your average thousand-some year old ruins in the middle of a beautiful city. This complex was built somewhere between 200 and 700 A.D. by the Lima people. Unlike the Incas, the Lima people did not worship the sun but rather worshipped the sea. I didn't understand that until I put together the fact that, during the winter, the clouds are so dense the sun is rarely visible. Seriously, everyone here (including me) kind of loses their mind when it's sunny.


I mean, can you blame them? It's kind of a gorgeous place.


During these last few weeks, Josh and I are working real hard coding our transcripts, analyzing our data, and typing up a paper. It's been a lot of work, but never before have I been so excited about research!

No comments:

Post a Comment