Sunday, July 5, 2020

Trying Nacatamales - MHIRT Blog Post 2


Growing up around tamales my entire life and knowing they varied depending on the region/country of Latin America they're from, I knew I had to try one from Nicaragua. One thing I've always found incredibly interesting about food is how one basic concept or ingredient can be interpreted in so many different ways by different cultures. In this case, tamales at their most basic state are: masa (corn meal) wrapped with a corn husk or banana leaf. This allows variation in what is used to season the masa, the type of wrap to use, and what goes inside as the filling (meats, vegetables, sauces, spices, and even other grains/starches).

I'm always taken by the element of surprise of trying something new, and this was no exception. I am only used to eating variations Peruvian tamales and Mexican tamales (both of which are very different). The nacatamale I tried offered ingredients I'd never had in a tamale before, as well as offered a flavor profile I didn't know tamales could have. The nacatamale came with pork, tomato, olives, a date-like fruit that I still am not familiar with, and the two shockers: rice and potato. Additionally, this tamale had a sweet-tasting masa. I assumed it was because the banana leaves had given it a hint of its sweetness but it also makes me wonder what goes into making the masa - perhaps a sweetener is added into that as well.

I'm excited for more food to come. I'd really love to try a Nicaraguan soup. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment