Monday, July 20, 2020

Finding Time and Staying Thankful


We're halfway through the MHIRT experience and it feels like I'm getting the rhythm of how to tackle balancing online research work and my own personal endeavors. At this point in my summer, I realized that if I was in Nicaragua, I would probably take any chance of adventure that came my way as a means of learning and experiencing beauty that I wouldn't get from staying at home. As a result, I decided to go out into my city for a long run this week. I almost felt like a tourist in my own city; running around any major landmark I could find, taking pictures at different points throughout the miles (I had a friend tag along), and being conscious of the quarantine guidelines as I peered into empty restaurants and tourist attractions.

I'm already very thankful for the experience at MHIRT and am starting to understand that making the best of an unforeseen situation can still make up for not being able to travel to Nicaragua. In an unusual way, I still do feel more connected to Nicaragua now than before I started this program, despite not stepping foot in the country itself. I may even feel more inspired to try learning about more cultures from the comfort of my home, seeing that distance can't keep me fully away from engaging in something I'm curious about. I'm looking forward to the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment