Sunday, July 5, 2020

it's the 4th of July in Tennessee

Since we're doing our work remotely this year, I think it's important to blog about what is going on locally as we're working on the mHealth project. Today, it's Independence Day in the United States, but I won't lie, the 4th of July feels very different this year.
First off, I have to mention that I always viewed the 4th of July as an interesting holiday because:
  1. It was solely the day America declared independence. The country didn't actually gain independence on July 4th, 1776. 
  2. Not everyone was independent at that time, or now, so can we really celebrate a holiday when everyone wasn't free? 
Don't get me wrong, I love any excuse to have barbecues and sunny pool days (especially during Tennessee's brutal July heat), but that second point stuck with me. Sure, the holiday isn't factually a real Independence Day, but the idea that so many individuals in this country still lack real freedom makes me wonder if we really should be celebrating today.

Working on the mHealth project and completing the Global Health Practicum, especially during a year where there is a collective realization of racism for so many individuals, makes this year's Independence Day hold a new significance. Not everyone in this country is completely free yet, and there are also many individuals who do not have independence or basic human rights.

Tying that back into global health, I've been thinking today about the people who aren't able to live independently solely because they lack access to basic healthcare that more privileged people are able to receive. These lessons on global health inequalities combined with a new, collective understanding of America's deep roots in racism made more people realize the need for more work, care, and education. Not just in the United States, but around the world as well. That way, we can make the world a freer place for everyone- not just a select, privileged few.
Then, in the future, we can celebrate an Independence Day where everyone can celebrate being independent. That's a holiday I'd be excited to celebrate annually.

Here are a few podcasts and books that I read and listened to lately. They've been helping to educate me more on current events, and maybe they can help all of us too as we're getting through the quarantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment