Saturday, July 25, 2020

Blogging on the Road

Hey everyone,

I am currently typing this message from a hotel room in Georgetown, Kentucky. It's been a long day of traveling and catching up with a childhood friend. Although I am not at home in my apartment, I am typing this blog with excitement. Our project is coming together, and we are almost done with our internship! The time has flown by, and we have learned so much. We fully administered the CHW questionnaire, and we have been working on the data analysis portion of the project. We are also writing the final report, which will be accompanied by a presentation during the upcoming week. I am anticipating the final product to see what we have done and where the project can go in the future. The main reason that I am curious to see our results is because I am currently in the process of filling out an application for a Fulbright scholarship, and I want to apply to spend time at AMOS either furthering this project or working on one of their other projects. I know that applying at this point may be considered short notice; however, I would rather gather the materials needed quickly than regret not applying at all. 

With all of that being said, I am extremely grateful for the experience that I have been provided by the MHIRT program and AMOS, and I will surely use this training in many projects that I work on in the future. As my second year of medical school starts in approximately 2.5 weeks, I will think back on this experience and the CBPR methods that we used. Even if I am not doing research, the CBPR approach can be applied to patient treatments and medication regimens by including their needs and desires in their treatment plans as well to make them feel that they are in charge of their healthcare.

P.S. for inspiration. In this tough time, find what makes you happy and pursue it! The pandemic won't last forever, and social justice will be achieved. We are a resilient generation with good intentions and big hearts.

Below is the town that I am currently in. It isn't Nicaragua, but it is interesting and quaint. It is near Lexington, and this area has some amazing landscapes.
Georgetown, Kentucky - A fast-growing city - Business View Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment