Thursday, August 2, 2018

Reflections on my Last Summer

As my time in Lima draws to a close, I’ve continuously been struck by moments where I’ve
realized how much I’ve changed in the past two months.


As a person, I’ve learned to be cautious but not to the point that I stop exploring. My last
experience in South America ended on a rough note and so, when I first came to this huge city
(there are over 10 million people!!), I was hesitant to go anywhere after the sun went down
(which is pretty early because it’s wintertime here). After weekend after weekend of wanting to
travel but having it fall through for some reason or another, I took a weekend trip by myself to a
beach town called Paracas 4 hours south of Lima! I was able to meet lovely new people, read on
the beach, and see lots of sea lions. Yay for not letting fear get in the way of living life!
And I was able to see sunshine and blue skies!!
As a student, I have rediscovered my love for learning. At the end of last semester, I was
incredibly burned out and was chasing a grade, not knowledge. School had lost some of its joy
and I felt like my entire life revolved around studying. This time away has allowed me to focus on
myself and activities outside learning which, strangely enough, made me appreciate it more. This
experience has also been the first time that I’ve felt so excited about research. I’ve known that
learning about the human condition is what brought me to medicine but I’ve never been able to
study it this way. Learning about the utility and process of qualitative research has given me a
new means of expressing my academic creativity.
This week, Josh and I presented our results to the office!
Finally, this summer has been full of gratitude. Again, being stuck in the med school bubble, my life really did revolve around myself and my woe-is-me attitude. I feel like I’ve finally taken the time to reflect and realize what incredible opportunities I’ve been given and what wonderful people I’ve been surrounded by. I am so thankful for my family and friends who helped carry me through my first year of med school and who have called and chatted with me when I felt homesick. To Julia, Daryl, and Dr. Fitz, thank you for going the extra mile and looking out for me. To Dr. Valerie Paz-Soldan, Ted, and the members of the Tulane Health Office for Latin America, thank you for welcoming me with open arms and for being incredible mentors. Josh and Ana, thank you both for being great friends and teammates. Ok, now that I feel like Elle at the end of Legally Blonde, I’m going to end with a quote that I heard at the beginning of the summer that has resonated through the past two months:


If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.
-Lilla Watson

So much love for the HOLA Office!! I'm going to miss you guys!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and the quote at the end! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience, Radha!

    ReplyDelete