Thursday, June 20, 2019

Snake Eyes and Art

This is my third week in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and I have been having a great time! It is hard to believe how fast time is flying, but we have done many things in this short time.


All of our lab mentors have been really friendly and helpful, as well. This is me counting the ganglion cells of snake eyes in the lab. Since then, I have also learned how to perform a Nissl stain, count photoreceptors, and make a map detailing the spatial arrangement of cells within the snakes’ retinas. With another project, I have been working with the opsin gene in frog eyes using PCR and gel electrophoresis. It is crazy to think of how much I have learned since my first day in lab.


On one of our weekends, we went to see a modern ballet called A Biblioteca de Babel. It was a very unique experience, and the theater we saw it in (Municipal Theater) was beautiful. A picture of it is seen above, and the inside is just as stunning as the outside. Sao Paulo is filled with many gorgeous buildings and landscapes like this one.

Our adventure has just begun, and I am loving every moment of being in this fascinating city. There is so much to appreciate from the infrastructure to the culture and people. Every day, we have an endless list of things to do and see, so I am very thankful to be given this opportunity to expand my horizons and be a part of this interesting piece of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment