Saturday, June 15, 2019

A Whole New World

It’s hard to believe it is already my second week in Brazil! Time has been flying by in between visiting Beco de Batman and running PCRs. For someone who loves art, Sao Paulo is a dream. SP consists of multiple museums, symbolic graffiti art, and varying styles of architecture. I absolutely love the level of self-expression this city allows for. Not only is the city beautiful, but so are the people. Even with my broken Portoñol (mix of Portuguese and Spanish) Paulistanos have been extremely patient and helpful. Even when I’m not fully grasping the meaning of their words they’re warmth is still conveyed. I also already adore everyone in the lab and feel as if we have been long-time friends, not newly acquainted coworkers. They are patient and kind with me and I thoroughly enjoy the hands-on projects that I am working on. 

Surround by international students back home I’d always heard of culture shock, but I’d never experienced it first-hand. Now I feel as if I were a kid pointing and inquiring about all kinds of new things. What is that building? Can I eat this? What do you call this? A new sort of genuine childish curiosity about life and this city. Customs or mannerisms that I might have previously ignored in the U.S spur excitement, and there is something incredibly sweet and humbling about this newfound appreciation for the simpler things. They have gapless bathroom stalls, they like leaving their windows open, they avoid food waste, and are appreciative of rice and beans consistently. I am excited to continue my research and the exploration of Sao Paulo, as well as growing closer and sharing new experiences with my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment