Saturday, June 22, 2019

Semana Incrível

I cannot believe that we are nearing the end of our third week. Time just seems to be flying at this point. This third week happened to be very eventful though, and I hope these days continue. This past week was my first time truly working in the lab. It was very interesting because I was "in training", which meant that I primarily helped with another student's research. It was considered training, because Guilia's research measures enzymatic activity, which is what the first half of my project consists of. I learned a lot from Guilia and Jaco, her mentor. I definitely got to practice my pipetting skills. This past week was also interesting because I gave a presentation to all of the students and mentors in the lab at their weekly meeting. I presented on information about myself and CBU. I was pretty nervous  beforehand, because I did not know how the presentation would go in English. I talked slow enough where they understood me, so I considered it a success. This week was also my first time walking to the campus by myself, which I consider an accomplishment because my campus is different from the other MHIRT students. The walk is also only 1.5 miles, so it is a good way to start my day. As you can see, there are some nice views on the way as well! 
Additionally, Thursday and Friday were a religious holiday here, so we got the days off. We spent Friday night at Capella Cafe Emporium, and my mentor, Risoleta Marques, was performing. She sounded amazing, and we could see the passion she had for what she was doing. It was a great way to spend the night! With the end of this third week, I hope these last six weeks become even more amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment