Saturday, June 8, 2019

Graffiti Art, Coxinha and Pastel!

      Since landing in São Paulo, Brazil, I’ve been astonished at the kindness and patience of the local people. From the coffee stands to the bus and metro stations, I’ve found many people eager to help despite the language barrier. Though I have not started my research project, I have learned so much in the past few days. My Portuguese is progressively improving and so are my directional skills. Due to the help of one of my mentors, I am now comfortable with public transportation in São Paulo. 

     Brazil’s personality holds a variety of unique traits. The art of São Paulo is particularly remarkable in its expression and creativity. It illustrates the colorful imagination of the local community but it also expresses the hardships the local community faces. It’s a beautiful combination that creates a real story for the people living in the city. Whether I’m traveling by car, bus, or foot, there is always a gem to be found on the walls of the city. In addition to the art, I’ve fallen in love with Brazilian food. My favorites so far are Coxinha and Pastel. Both are fried dough with some type of meat or vegetarian filling.

     To sum this up, I feel welcomed to Brazil and am excited for these next two months. From trying new foods to waiting to catch another view of a capybara herd, São Paulo is almost a different world. I am very thankful to be traveling with 3 amazing roommates for the next two months, and I am also very thankful to MHIRT for this life changing opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment