Friday, June 14, 2013

Tudo bom, tudo bom, tudo bom bom bom!


It is currently my ninth day in São Paulo, Brasil, and I must say that it has been a great experience so far. So, let me tell you a little about what has been going on.

First, the ride from the airport to the Pousada was very interesting. Of course, I was a little exhausted from the flight, but our driver kept me going. He couldn’t speak much English and I couldn’t speak much Portuguese, so we spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the other was saying. It was a good thing that I had a pocket dictionary/translator handy. I found myself chuckling a lot during the ride because the driver was playing a radio station with R&B music in English. I had never heard any of the songs and the lyrics were quite hilarious.

The Pousada where JD, Aikeem and I live is very interesting. I had the hardest time carrying my luggage up the stairs when we first arrived…I literally struggled. The rooms are small and remind me of dorm rooms, but I like them. I will not comment on the bathroom haha! The kitchen is like the hangout spot for everyone in the Pousada.  All of the people that I meet there are extremely nice and I often find myself starting random conversations with them. It really helps me to learn/practice my Portuguese skills and it’s just fun in general to get to know new people.

I work in Dr. Britto’s lab and it has been muito bem! It can get quite busy sometimes because a lot of students come in and use the equipment in the lab. I work with really nice people who are very patient in teaching me different things. Sometimes we have difficulty with the Portuguese/English barrier but it all adds to the experience. We all burst into laughter when I jumble Spanish, Portuguese and English into one sentence. So far I have learned how to slice mice brains on a microtome and I have also helped out with a Bradford assay and Western Blotting. I have also learned some immunohistochemistry techniques.

Well, that’s enough for now! Até logo!

No comments:

Post a Comment