Monday, August 5, 2013

Meu ùltimo post


Dear MHIRT Journal,

With only a few more days left here in Brazil, my mind reflects back on all of the experiences that I have had in this country.

My stay in Brazil has truly been an amazing experience and I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to do research in the lab of a renowned scientist as well as explore this beautiful country. I have learned a great deal of things that will stick with me throughout life, and I have also met many people whom I hope to stay in contact with.

I especially appreciate my mentor, Dr. Luiz Britto, and my direct contact, Deborah Azzi-Nogueira, for all that they have done for me while being here in Brazil. They have made me feel very welcomed and it was as if I was a normal part of the lab family. With the help of the various research students in the lab, I have learned many lab techniques and procedures to add to my repertoire.  Since the project that I have been working on is entirely new, I have learned a lot about various tests, trials, and error that accompany research experiments. Oh, and let’s not forget about Portuguese, a language that I have learned embrace while being here. If one wants to buy/order food, find directions, or catch a taxi, then knowing some basic Portuguese is a great benefit. I have also spent many hours translating lab protocols from Portuguese to English. Muito obrigado Google transdutor!!!

Aside from my lab experiences, I was able to travel to many different places in Brazil. My peers and I traveled to Florianopolis, Ubatuba, and Rio de Janerio. All of these places were absolutely beautiful and we had a lot of fun. We swam in the ocean, dove under the water while being engulfed by huge waves, sand boarded down the sand dunes of Floripa, hang glided from a mountain top in Rio, hiked to the top of Sugar Loaf mountain to see the sunset, and saw the Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer) statue! IT HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

I am truly going to miss Brazil, but all things must come to an end. I will forever cherish the memories and friends that I have made.  I will always think of this research experience as part of a stepping-stone and a foundation for my future goals in science.

P.S. Acai is one of the best desserts that I have ever had in my life. I am going to miss it oh so much!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment