Tuesday, August 6, 2019

CBPR from Managua to Memphis


Over my internship, I learned a lot about the Community Based Participatory Research (CBPR) model that AMOS uses to work “with” the community instead of “for” the community, something I had never heard of before. Many organizations go into a project with the idea that they will help or fix a problem that they see is important for the community. With the CBPR model, AMOS meets with the community for community members to discuss what is important to them in the community and what they value most and would like to see change. Then, according to the results from the community meetings, AMOS prioritizes projects according to the community’s values.
I really enjoyed seeing how the projects are truly community centered as the consejeras and other community members are so involved in each part of the programs and research. At the end of research projects, data is presented back to the community so that the community can learn and grow from the results. I also really enjoyed learning about how to many data appropriate for community presentation. I think I am so used to how college research is presented to professors and peers that if was hard for me to understand how to make the data friendly to all people instead of just people educated in statistics. I really enjoyed the community presentations and how they incorporated activities for hands-on learning.
Seeing the community so involved and having fun made me excited to bring what I bring back to Memphis. As a personal trainer, I usually work one on one with my clients, but I look forward to getting involved with bigger projects and initiatives to reach the greater Memphis community. While Memphis does not have the same problems as the communities of Nejapa or San Onofre, I think it is mind-blowing that many families in Memphis are dealing with the same issues: inadequate nutrition, anxiety, depression, etc. I am excited to see what opportunities I can get involved in to help work with the Memphis community to develop better eating and lifestyle practices to see a healthier tomorrow, using the CBPR models and lessons as a guidance for my mentality on this lifelong effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment