Saturday, July 5, 2014

Uma bela viagem



For a time, this has seemed much like a dream. Each morning as I would awaken, I was taken aback by the fact that the sun peaked through palm trees outside my window and that the lagoon rustled a few steps from my dwelling place. Then there was an acceptance of this reality, as each day I encountered Brasilians who, like me, were playing out their daily routines of commuting, studying or working, and always making time for a bit (or more) of fun. I become a piece of their lives as they do in mine. Through shared experiences and fruitful exchanges, I appreciate more and more the nuances that flavor of our distinct native cultures, while realizing the principal ingredients are very much the same.

This cultural exchange is more than an internship or language immersion; its greatest value lies in the opportunity to understand the human experience in a setting apart from your own. In this endeavor, I hope to gain all that I can. To do so, I have enlisted all my senses. I have promised myself not to fall into the trap of complacency and not to be arrested by fear. More than before I hope to give new places and people the chance to teach me, to marvel at the things that may seem inconsequential, to allow myself to be moved, and to influence my world in return. I am breathing in Brasil and imprinting this beautiful journey on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment