Saturday, June 14, 2014

A bonita cidade de Floripa

I have been in Brazil for a week and a half now and it has been a wonderful experience. Since the moment we arrived to Floripa people were warm and have graciously welcomed us to their country. Our mentors Dr. Marques, Dr. Padua, and Dr. Linder have shown us around a lot, specially the first few days. I have enjoyed exploring the island (even when it’s raining, which it has been often). Amaka, Elizabeth, and I learned to take the ônibus (public bus) almost as soon as we got here. Riding the ônibus is a must here. I have officially worked a week and I have already learned many new techniques and planned my project for the summer, well winter here. I enjoy the research a lot, but specially like meeting all of the people that work at LABCAI. I get to practice my Portuguese with them all day and I feel like I learn new words or phrases every day. I think I will end up saying “cara,” which is “dude,” by the end of the summer. The World Cup has officially started and Brazil won the first game! I watched it with my friends from lab at Juliana’s place. We had pinhão (hot pine nuts) and cachorros quentes (Brazilian hot dogs). The hot dog had corn, mayonnaise, cheese, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, and thin potatoes. It was delicious!! I wake up in the morning sometimes not believing that I am actually in Brazil meeting great people, doing interesting research, improving my Portuguese, and learning about a new culture. I am so thankful for this opportunity to do what I love and amplify my experiences in this beautiful country. Now we are off to our first festa junina- it should be a lot of fun! Até logo! J
The view of the Lagoa da Conceição on a cloudy day. It is beautiful and peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment