Saturday, June 20, 2020

My First Taste of Nicaraguan Food


When I first introduced myself to the MHIRT/Amos community on Zoom, I felt the need to mention my love for food and music. Truthfully, I was excited to go to Nicaragua because of the experience of working within rural Nicaraguan communities and learning to conduct research, but beyond that I was also excited and humbled to be able to enjoy the beauty of the culture; whatever food, music, customs, traditions, and relationships I would be exposed and drawn to. With remote learning going on right now, I still hope to dive into whatever bit of recommendations I can get. On the first day, I was given links to recipes on how to prepare Indio Viejo and other Nicaraguan dishes, was recommended Ceshia Ubau and Elsa Basil as artists I should listen to (who I am loving, by the way), and given the names of many towns and mountains I hadn't heard of before. As a result, my blogposts will likely revolve around food or the arts in some way.

This week though, I had the pleasure of trying out a dish from a local Nicaraguan spot recommended to me by a good friend, Liz. This is the first time I order out from a Nicaraguan restaurant and I'm considering this to be my first exposure to the food. I was very excited to try it and... spoiler alert: I really enjoyed the dish. It put a 'yum' in my 'tum.' I would love to try more dishes in the future and to keep on receiving recommendations on food, music, movies, books, and anything else to look into. I am looking forward to sharing more about my engagement with things I've really enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment