Wednesday, August 3, 2016

These are a few of my favorite things...in Uganda


1) The Town of Kabale
Living in Kabale for over the past few months has been great. I have found Kabale as my second home. The town always has something going on from an impromptu soccer game to trade show selling local crafts. Here you can see mountainous terrain and the field in the center of town where all the major events occur.





2) Hiking and Exploring Uganda
Every weekend trip’s journey has had its unique story. For example, to travel to Ssese Islands we took a car for 6 hours, a ferry across Lake Victoria, a motorcycle ride across an island, and finally a small boat ride to the island. Most if not all of our travels have involved some sort of hiking. In this picture we went hiking in Kisoro, Uganda near the three corners where Uganda, Rwanda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo meet.

3) Beautiful Sunsets
The sunsets in Uganda seize to amaze me. No matter where we are we always make it our mission to catch the beautiful sunsets of Uganda. My favorite is pictured over the Rwenzori Mountains in Fort Portal near the Kyaninga Crater Lake.
4) The Ugandan People
The Ugandan people are very generous and kind people. I have been very lucky to have the opportunity to live with them, and they are always willing to lend a helping hand. Because I truly consider them my family I have not yet experienced homesickness. The first group of students were researchers from Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) that lived and worked with us for the entirety of the summer.
ShaCoria and I with Dr. Esau and the dentist Frank at the general clinic on our last day in Uganda. We will miss them, and we can’t wait to see them when they visit us in the U.S.
 5) My research team
This summer the research team consisted of Kara, ShaCoria, and I and our wonderful research assistants Brenda, Joan, Margaret, and Blessings. Without them we couldn't have completed our research. Kara and ShaCoria made my summer better than I could have ever imagined. Throughout long trips on the bus and hours of transcribing interviews they always made me laugh. I have and continue to have the most supportive colleagues and friends. I learned an immense amount of valuable information from them including research methods, anthropological theory, and about life in general. I will be forever grateful for my time with them and my CBU MHIRT experience.  

1 comment:

  1. Here you can see mountainous terrain and the field in the center of town where all the major events occur.garcinia cambogia side effect video

    ReplyDelete