Friday, June 15, 2012

My Brasilian Experience thus far!


Bem-VINDO to my blog as I bring you into my world of São Paulo.  It has been officially two weeks now and I am still adjusting to everything.  Within these two weeks, I feel as if I have seen a pretty decent amount of such a huge city.  Hmmm, let’s see, where should I begin?  I do not want to boast, but if you must know, I have gone to the Instituto de Butantan (museum), Paulista Ave., many restaurants, 2 malls (Paulista Shopping Center and Eldorado), gosh just too many to name!  The food is different from what I am accustomed to, yet most of it is really tasty! My Portuguese is definitely improving because now  I can say hello and goodbye! Honestly, I am slowly beginning to understand and converse with people for more than ten seconds. It’s like mutualism: I help with English and help is given in return with Portuguese. Oh yeah, let’s not forget about the lab. I work under the supervision of Dr. Christina Joselevitch at the University of Sao Paulo. We are examining the effects on the retina after injection with the anti-viral drug, acyclovir!  After my first session with my mentor, I felt like Anne Hathaway from The Devil Wears Prada!   I have been learning many lab techniques that I have never encountered before and also I get to work with Butterfly Rabbits…don’t be jealous!!! There are really amazing people in my lab and I am not sure if the blog allows enough characters to name them all! Everyone is very helpful and most importantly very patient when it comes to speaking Portuguese. Meanwhile, the weather here varies: first its hot then it’s cold, it rains, but never snows, the sun it comes out, when its humid, you start to pout! Also, in regards to transportation, I have passed passenger school.  It consists of quickly jumping on the bus and grabbing the first person or thing that you see to keep your balance and avoid the floor.  Ellen and Stephen have endured these adventures with me.  There are pictures to accompany my journey, but until now that is all, Tá bom!

Tchau Tchau

No comments:

Post a Comment